Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Poem 47 Pandemic Day 54)

Early Evening in the Kitchen of Love

Love is always stirring and 
thinking about what it will do.
St. Teresa of Avila
The light runs
in through the window
like somebody's chasing it.
Her hair is all wild,
and she hums
and dances a little,
with those hips of hers,
serious hips, good for toting
babies, or propping open 
the screen door
while she calls me
down from the backyard tree.

And this is the call
I've been waiting for;
this is what I want to know:
what Love's been fixing
for me. So I push
into her kitchen,
stand on tiptoes,
try to see
what she's got
in that big pot of hers.
Is goodness 
something the mouth 
can decide?

Years later; the smell
is almost an ache,
the downdraft
of left-behind dreams.
I stand
facing the stove
a long time.
I stir and wait,
hoping to catch the secret 
sleeping in the low
afternoon,
wake it steaming
in the valley 
of my spoon.

Susan Steger Welsh, Rafting On The Water Table,  Minnesota Voices Project #96, New Rivers Press, 2000.  

Such a wise and poignant voice has my friend Susan.  I haven't seen her in years since I left our writers' group that met regularly at a coffee shop on Grand Avenue.  The book that this poem comes from was nominated for a Minnesota Book Award.  The other poems in her book are equally worthy. 

"The kitchen of love"... does this call to mind any happy memories for you?  My mom would make homemade doughnuts and she would plan the deep-frying to coincide with my arrival home on the school bus.  Her gift of love was fresh, hot doughnut holes and a glass of cold milk.  As I remember it, that humble kitchen in our tiny farm home glowed with warmth and love on doughnut days.

No comments: