Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Monday, May 18, 2020

Poem 66 (Pandemic Day 69)

To Manage

She writes to me--
     I can't sleep because I'm seventeen
Sometimes I lie awake thinking
     I didn't even clean my room yet
And soon I will be twenty-five
        And a failure
And when I am fifty--oh!
I write her back 
     Slowly      slow
Clean one drawer
     Arrange words on a page
let them find one another
        Find you
Trust they might know something
   You aren't living      the whole thing
        At once

That's what a minute     said to an hour
Without me      you are nothing


Earlier I posted the Desiderata--one line comes back to me after reading this poem about managing our lives when they are unruly and overwhelming; "beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.  You are a child of the Universe no less than the trees and the stars you have a right to be here."   

I'm going to be gentle with myself here too and share some of Nye's introduction with you that speaks so beautifully about the focus and intent of this book of poetry, that makes it so worthwhile to read. 

"Poet Galway Kinnell said, "To me poetry is someone standing up, so to speak, and saying, with as little concealment as possible, what it is for him or her to be on this earth at this moment."
Someone--Abraham Lincoln?--once remarked that all the voices ever cast out into the air are still floating around out there in the far ethers--somehow, somewhere--and if we only knew how to listen well enough, we could hear them even now.
Voices as guides, lines and stanzas as rooms, sometimes a single word the furniture on which to sit...each day we could open the door, and enter, and be found. These days I wonder--was life always strange--just in different ways?  Does speaking some of the strangeness help us survive it, even if we can't solve or change it?"

No comments: