Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Friday, April 14, 2023

April is Poetry Month: Day 12

 The Poem That Got Away

There I was and in it came
Through the fogbank of my brain
From the fastness of my soul
Shining like a glowing coal
the nearly perfect poem!

Oh, it may have needed just
An alteration here or there--
A little tuck, a little seam
to be exactly what I mean--
The really perfect poem!

    I'll write it later on, I said,
    The idea's clear and so's my head.
    This pen I have is nearly dry.
    What I'll do now is finish this pie,
    Then on to the perfect poem!

With pen in hand quite full of ink
I try now to recall.
I've plenty of time in which to think
But the poem went down the kitchen sink
With the last of the perfect pie.
                                            Felice Holman




From: Inner Chimes: Poems on Poetry, Selected by Bobbye S. Goldstein, Wordsong Press, 1992.

This is such a fun book for people who like to read poetry, have ever tried to write poetry, or are just curious about the creative process.  This is a book that would be found in the children's section, with charming illustrations and a spacious design; but that is an artificial separation.  So much simple joy can be found between the pages; and so much food for thought (and even some tasty pie!)
 


No comments: