Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sharing Resources

Today Diane and I had the opportunity to share our district's online resources with the district Tech Steering Committee. The presentation was successful and informative for our audience...whew!!!
The wealth of resources that are available to our students and staff is amazing and frankly, my dear, overwhelming! When I was a student in grade school and high school, the challenge was to find the information that you needed. ACCESS was the problem we faced as learners for centuries. (this is not from personal experience...despite what my son might say!) In the last fifteen years the learner's challenge has changed. Access is ubiquitous and now the challenge is to EVALUATE and SELECT the information that is accurate and relevant. We may have talked about "information literacy" for years...but it's importance has been heightened.
I'm not writing anything groundbreaking...just a reminder to myself that my eyes need to stay open to emerging trends...that we are really riding a wave of change.

2 comments:

Exploradora said...

In my neck of the woods in MPS, there are still lots of problems with access--lab time is scarce and competition to get it is often fierce. But, you are right, it is axciting to have the options that we do have.

Karen said...

Well put!