Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

April is Poetry Month: Day 20



Bee!  I'm expecting you!
Was saying Yesterday 
To Somebody you know
That you were due--

The Frogs got Home last Week--
Are Settled and at work--
Birds, mostly back--
The Clover, warm and thick--

You'll get my Letter
By the seventeenth; Reply
Or better, be with me--
Yours, Fly

                Emily Dickinson

From: Writing Poetry: Where Poems Come From and How to Write Them, David Kirby, The Writer, Inc, 1989.  David Kirby created a fun and accessible book on writing poetry, with lots of examples from noted poets and some of his students as well.  No doubt he's had lots of students in his 54 years at Florida State University and poetry and the teaching of it has given him lots of joy and insight.  
    I chose to feature another Emily Dickinson poem because it seemed so appropriate for our late spring which has been as anxiously awaited as Fly has anticipated Bee's return.  
    Today I introduced 20 little lettuce plants to the great outdoors to harden off for a few hours with hopes that I can put them into the garden this week and have some Black-seeded Simpson leaf lettuce to harvest in early May. (They'll be back outside again tomorrow for a little bit longer)  The winter-sowing  milk jug greenhouses that I set out in February and that spent many weeks buried under snow also have some tiny lettuce seedlings that will go into the garden in a few weeks.  Bee...I'm waiting for you too!

No comments: