Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How Far I've Come...How Far I Have to Go!

A recap of the "Things" I've done:
Thing 1. What Are You Talking About?
Understanding Information Literacy.
This is a continuing challenge! The basics can be defined, but the specifics keep changing as the technology morphs and expands, changes and reforms into new iterations. This term,"information literacy" and all its cousins and shirttail relatives...technological literacy, visual literacy, etc; catch my eye in my professional reading and is something that Diane and I will again grapple with today as we craft interview questions to pose to interviewees for the media positions that will be open in the district.

Thing 2. Create Your Blog & Post About It
Blogging is valuable as a place to put ideas into words, but it also is "another thing to do" and requires a commitment to making it a habit. It has to rise to a higher level of importance than it has at this time in my life. I wish I could blog more and email less. A goal: find out how to master email and morph it into a more useful kind of communication within our department. Maybe Google Docs in discussion lines or a Wiki in Moodle. (Three years ago, if someone suggested I make a wiki in moodle, I'd probably have slapped their face--or asked them to stop talking baby talk!)

Thing 3. RSS & Newsreaders
My understanding of RSS is still tentative and I have not yet found it highly applicable for the work I do on a regular basis. I haven't tackled the time management needed to have time to read all the updated postings as they come.

Thing 4. Get to Know Your Public Library
I can't wait until the summer when I plan to make use of the museum access. I'm going to devote a day or two to visiting my favorite libraries and digging into things I haven't explored yet, although I do borrow books, audiobooks, videos and dvds, I search, reserve, renew on line, I buy used books , read reviews, sit and read magazines, and on and on...there are features I'm not using or letting people know about.

Thing 5. Create and Maintain a Teacher Web Page
Friday Diane and I are meeting with one of our webpage developers and the district graphic designer to work on a new interface for the media website. We want to have something that looks like the Springfield High School media site.
I've been doing webpage training this year. I really enjoy working with teachers on learning this...I learn a lot too!

Thing 6. Use the Teacher Guide to the Research Project Calculator (RPC) AND

Thing 7. Get to Know the Research Project Calculator (RPC)

I like this a lot, but I haven't had a chance to use it with students. It would be a good idea for me to take one of the upcoming projects we have around the office and run it through this system and see if it also works for other kinds of things that require research and planning. Yes, Jean, that's a good idea!!!!

I've already talked about these things in previous posts, but review is a good thing!




No comments: