Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Friday, February 27, 2009

Ideas--as wide as Lake Superior!


As I was reading reactions to Obama's speech to Congress and to the nation in Atlantic Monthly, I followed a link to an interesting but controversial blog "Divided We Stand United We Fall". The thing that I found intriguing was his concept for linking different blogs and news articles about the event through lines in a song for a musical. He thought Obama's speech was full of "razzle dazzle", thus....Chicago! I could see this being adapted for classroom use. Take the powerful lyrics from "the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they say, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.
Student researchers could find appropriate links for the history of the Chippewa, the origins of the name, "Gitche Gumee" and the history of shipwrecks in Lake Superior. Or, the teacher could embed links to websites that students would access through the lyrics. A pre-activity could include listening to the song and developing research topics or questions to be answered. What more do you need to know to understand what happened on that November day? What happened before? What has happened since? What are other disasters that have been immortalized in song, and why?
The use of music to connect to students and create meaningful content and context is amazing.
Some how I got from a podium in Washington D.C. to the depths of Lake Superior. The Internet allows our intellects to wander far and wide!
www.flickr.com/photos/52532834@N00/233759577

2 comments:

Exploradora said...

The whole Great Lakes region is so fascinating! I had not idea how rich the history is until I spent a little time in Duluth. Superior is so mysterious. Lake Michigan is unique too. I recommend that you take one of those cruises of the Lake, or at least the Chicago harbor cruise the next time you are there.

Karen said...

GREAT idea. I just discovered http://www.awesomestories.com/ which does what I think you are talking about. It is more in-depth than what students are likely to do, but I think it is a place for ideas. I read the one about the Challenger Disaster and I could hardly make myself stop.