Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Sparks

Poem 36 (Pandemic Day 44)

Sparks

When I was eight
I lit a coal stove every morning
staring at the sparks jump and 
dance out of flames
as I fanned them with a palm leaf
Mother said they were fairies in exile
turned into diamonds
She knit a crown
to adorn my childhood

When I was eight
I went fishing in a flooded stream
I floated on water
pebbles were my pillows
I looked up at the milky clouds
spreading across the sky
Father said they were angels in exile
turned into waterfalls
He folded a boat 
to bear away my childhood

Wang Ping, Of Flesh & Spirit,Coffee House Press, 1998.

Let's compare most people's experience of reading books of poetry with the experience of going into the water at the lake or the ocean.  I believe that would fall into the category of "dipping their toes in from the dock" or "wading in up to their ankles so they don't get their jeans wet" and not, "let's plunge right in and stay all day."  

Poetry expects a lot from its readers and reading a book of poetry from cover to cover in a single sitting is not our typical approach.  You might feel differently when you pick up Of Flesh & Spirit.   I tend to think of mysteries or thrillers as "intriguing" "compelling" "page-turners"  but I felt that about Wang Ping's poetry.  I couldn't just dip in and pick up a poem.  I needed to know the whole story she was telling of her amazing life told through both poems and anecdotal stories interspersed.  

Wang Ping was born in China in 1957,  just before Mao instituted the "Great Leap Forward" which brought on the deadliest famine in history.  She grew up on a small island in the East China Sea and largely self-taught,  went on to earn degrees including a Ph.D from NY University.  She wrote this book while teaching at Macalester College in St. Paul. Besides poetry, she has written novels and short stories, translates and is a photographer and performance artist.  Her latest book is My Name is Immigrant.

No comments: