Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.

Mary Oliver

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Mid-Life Crisis by Judith Viorst

Poem 50 (Pandemic Day 57)

Mid-life Crisis

What am I doing with a mid-life crisis?
This morning I was seventeen.
I have barely begun the beguine and it's 
Good night ladies
Already.

While I've been wondering who to be
When I grow up someday, 
My acne has vanished away and it's
Sagging kneecaps
Already.

Why do I seem to remember Pearl Harbor?
Surely I must be too young.
When the boys I once clung to
Start losing their hair?
Why can't I take barefoot walks in the park
Without giving my kidneys a chill?
There's poetry left in me still and it
Doesn't seem fair.

While I was thinking I was just a girl,
My future turned into my past.
The time for wild kisses goes fast and it's 
Time for Sanka.
Already?

Judith Viorst, How Did I Get To Be 40 & Other Atrocities,  Siimon and Schuster, 1976.

When I was 40 I looked on a map and picked out a place to escape to...White River Junction,VT. if I recall.  My plans didn't extend much beyond that...I didn't divorce my husband, quit my job, abandon my children, but somehow it was important to feel I had a destination, if I needed to get away.  My forties were good for me, but there were upheavals, revelations and atrocities too...that's all I'll say for now.




No comments: